I'll never forget the day I decided vintage costume jewellery was an excellent avenue to go down as far as collecting, wearing and selling.
It was 2007, I had just arrived in London and I was excited to see what high street retailers such as Zara, TopShop, H&M and French Connection had in their costume jewellery collections.
Pictured, 1990s Swarovski crystal bee brooch on contemporary cashmere jacket.
I was immediately astonished at the price (too low), the volume (too much) and the quality (too flimsy). Since that day, I have built up my own collection and curated many pieces of vintage costume jewellery, to sell via this platform and my market stall. I really love the diversity of 20th century vintage costume jewellery and how well it continues to work with contemporary clothing styles.
Pictured, 1990s Trifari brutalist style costume necklace on black t-shirt. Worn by Maria.
Here are 10 more reasons why buying a piece of vintage costume jewellery is a good idea..
- Look intriguing. Make a statement. Mark a moment with a piece of vintage costume jewellery curated by me (Hester).
- Embrace stunning designs from the 20th century, you never knew existed.
- Show a different side of yourself (especially with a brooch, try one here).
- Seeking vintage jewels can turn into a fascinating, social history journey. Collectors have been hoarding for years. Books have been written (check out one here).
- You’re obviously saving a gem or two from landfill.
- If you need help, experience charming and reliable customer service from HFV (just text 0447 202 222 or email firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Fast DELIVERY (every parcel is shipped out of HFV quarters within 24hours or you can do a local pick up in Balmain, Sydney).
- I guarantee a free return if you're not happy with your purchase.
- It’s nice to have a little treat every now and then.
- Vintage costume jewellery can't make you thinner, but it definitely makes you look more interesting..
You can shop the HFV collection of vintage jewels here.